Important: Do not report these changes by mail. See below for instructions on how to report changes.
Life changes to report
You must report a change if you:
- Get married or divorced
- Have a child, adopt a child, or place a child for adoption
- Have a change in income
- Get health coverage through a job or a program like Medicare or Medicaid
- Change your place of residence
- Have a change in disability status
- Gain or lose a dependent
- Become pregnant
- Experience other changes that may affect your income and household size
- Other changes to report: change in tax filing status; change of citizenship or immigration status; incarceration or release from incarceration; change in status as an American Indian/Alaska Native or tribal status; correction to name, date of birth, or Social Security number.
When and how to report changes
You should report these changes to the Marketplace as soon as possible.
If these changes qualify you for a special enrollment period to change plans, in most cases you have 60 days from the life event to enroll in new coverage. If the changes qualify you for more or less savings, it’s important to make adjustments as soon as possible.
Important: Do not report these changes by mail.
You can report these changes 2 ways:
- Online. Log in to your account. Select your application, then select “Report a life change” from the menu on the left.
- By phone. Contact the Marketplace Call Center at 1-800-318-2596 (TTY: 1-855-889-4325)
Learn more from the IRS about how changes can affect the premium tax credit you may be eligible for.
After you report a change
After you report changes to the Marketplace, you’ll get a new eligibility notice that will explain:
- Whether you qualify for a special enrollment period that allows you to change plans
- Whether you’re eligible for lower costs based on your new income, household size, or other changed information. You may become eligible for the first time, for a different amount of savings, or for coverage through Medicaid or the Children’s Health Insurance Program (CHIP). You also could become ineligible for savings–if your income has gone up, for example.
If you’re eligible for a special enrollment period
You’ll be able to shop for a different plan in the Marketplace. You usually have up to 60 days from the date of the qualifying event to enroll in a new plan.
If you have a special enrollment period, you can change plans 2 ways:
- Online. Log in to your account and select your application. Then select “Eligibility and Appeals” from the menu on the left. Next, scroll down and click the green “Continue to enrollment” button. You can then shop for plans and change your selection.
- By phone. Contact the Marketplace Call Center at 1-800-318-2596 (TTY: 1-855-889-4325).
If you’re not eligible for a special enrollment period but the tax credit you qualify for has changed
You can’t change plans. But you can choose to adjust the amount of the tax credit to apply to your monthly premiums.
Changing your profile information
You report changes that don’t affect your coverage or savings differently.
- To change your home address, email address, or phone number, update the information on your Marketplace Profile page.
- Be sure to report address, email, and phone changes to your insurance company too. Otherwise they may not know about your new contact information.
Source: HealthCare.gov, “Reporting life & income changes to the Marketplace.” http://www.healthcare.gov website. Accessed December 2, 2015. https://www.healthcare.gov/how-do-i-report-life-changes-to-the-marketplace/
© Copyright 2016. All rights reserved. This content is strictly for informational purposes and although experts have prepared it, the reader should not substitute this information for professional insurance advice. If you have any questions, please consult your insurance professional before acting on any information presented. Read more.